Paradise Awaits, One Day At a Time
March 23, 2020 – Steve Rubin
Friendships And Cancer
March 22, 2020 – Jane Biehl PhD
A Multi-Pronged Approach to Fighting Cancer Fatigue
March 21, 2020 – Barbara Tako
Using Self-Care to Cope with Cancer and a Pandemic
March 20, 2020 – Bonnie Annis
Flipping The Script
March 19, 2020 – Martha Carlson
Men, Cancer, and the 'S' Word
March 18, 2020 – Trevor Maxwell
Precautions During the COVID-19 Pandemic as a Cancer Survivor
March 17, 2020 – William Ramshaw
Do You Understand Your Diagnosis?
March 16, 2020 – Kathy Latour
The Healing Power of Words
March 15, 2020 – Bonnie Annis
Let Me Be Cranky
March 14, 2020 – Jane Biehl PhD

Party Time

After waiting on scan results, the whole process can be so draining that I'm left broken and depleted. Often for several days later. Making it hard to completely enjoy the relief good news should provide.
PUBLISHED March 09, 2020
At just thirty years old, Steve was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, a rare and aggressive bone cancer. The journey has taken him through chemotherapy, multiple surgeries, and many different avenues of holistic health. An avid blogger, Steve shares his personal health regimens as well as love of music, movies and sports in his writing. Follow along his quest for wellness as he reacclimates into the world in spite of daunting statistics. You can connect with Steve on Instagram @steve_othercword, Twitter @othercword and his website,

As I sat by the phone awaiting scan results, my sister Jaime — who had come by the apartment for moral support — was generally freaked out at the sight of her big brother shaking compulsively. She pleaded that I grab a blanket or throw on a sweater, anything that might calm the nerves. But it was an involuntary response. Multiple recurrences have cursed my body with a lifetime supply of PTSD, and during each scan experience, the anticipation feels completely traumatizing all over again. There are no greater stakes than when your livelihood is endangered.

About 20 painfully agonizing minutes later, I received the call along with a tremendous sense of relief — "Great news, all clear!" — and immediately reached out to let my wife Kori know. Could she please come home? We had to celebrate! (This had marked over a year of clear scans since I was given less than a 10% to live with metastatic bone cancer.)

Earlier that morning, I had asked her to go to work. We knew my sister would be around if needed, and weren't expecting to hear from the hospital until the following day. In the meantime, it was better for us to keep busy. (For the record: I don't envy the lives of caretakers like my wife. She takes on just as much worry and stress as I do and also manages an extremely demanding career. I have no idea how she does it all.)

When Kori arrived home, our celebration kicked off with the best of intentions. Penny Lane, our fearless, cheerleading poodle, barked with delight to see her mom. We threw on the party jams, loud and emphatically. And broke out our finest bubbly — all, while seemingly forgetting that every time we'd received results in the past (even good news) the whole process was so draining that we were left broken and depleted. Often for several days later.

Then, midway through our first glass, the momentum faded and before we knew it, Kori and I found ourselves bickering.

It was a bicker stemming out of frustration from the constant pounding of questions like how come we have to go through this crap all the time? And why is everything so hard? My wife, who's now spent almost 5 years taking care of me individually, as well as providing for us as a couple, constantly sacrificing her own needs along the way, needed her rock. She reached out next to her for a husband who was more alert, who would comfort her so that she could finally just let down for a second…

I wanted to be better. I really did. But instead, I just sat there, helpless and exhausted. We both did. A few minutes later, we collapsed together on the couch, feeling unsatisfied for not making the most of a rare, celebratory moment. We unquestionably appreciated the greater significance of the day's events and the comfort of knowing we had each other. We just couldn't be perfect that night. Sometimes, that's just the way it goes.

Be the first to discuss this article on CURE's forum. >>
Talk about this article with other patients, caregivers, and advocates in the General Psychosocial Aspect Topics CURE discussion group.

Related Articles


Sign In

Not a member? Sign up now!

Sign Up

Are you a member? Please Log In