CURE is kicking off its summer recipe series "Cooking With Cure". Through the summer, we'll be highlighting simple and healthy recipes recommended by oncology dieticians from the John Theurer Cancer Center for patients with cancer and survivors. First up, is a fresh pasta dish with sardines, capers and sundried tomatoes.
Although COVID-19-related restrictions are being lifted in some parts of the country, making the most of what you have in your kitchen and cooking at home with pantry staples is still a great way to stay safe and avoid grocery store crowds. But patients with cancer and survivors may also have different dietary needs that traditional recipes may not account for.
That’s why CURE®
recently partnered with oncology dietitians from the John Theurer Cancer Center for this summer’s Cooking with CURE Recipe Series.
This pasta dish with sardines, capers, and sundried tomatoes is a perfect one-skillet dinner, made with simple ingredients that may already be in your pantry. This dish is a creative way to include or introduce sardines, with all their fatty fish goodness, into your diet. And when it comes to parsley, fresh isn’t necessary – you can use dried or any other herb you might have on hand, including basil or dill.
Give it a try and share your creations on social with the hashtag #CookingWithCURE!
Pasta with Sardines, Capers, and Sundried Tomatoes Recipe
- 1 lb. long pasta, like spaghetti, or bucatini
- 2 shallots chopped
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 cans sardines packed in olive oil (about ½ pound)
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes, chopped
- Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions, reserving some pasta water before draining.
- Sauté shallots in olive oil in a large skillet until soft, about five minutes.
- Add lemon zest, capers, sardines, sundried tomatoes and red pepper flakes.
- Stir gently until heated through, about three minutes.
- Drain pasta and add to the sardine mixture.
- Gently toss to combine.
- Add the parsley and some reserved pasta water to moisten.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.